I love to make smoothies for Landon and myself. They are a great easy way to have a tasty snack and get in some good fruits and veggies in your diet. Also because Landon doesn’t chew well yet, it’s easy for him to digest fruits and veggies that are already broken down. I will do anything to save time so I freeze any fresh fruit and veggies before they go bad.
That brought me to the idea of Frozen Kale Cubes for smoothies. I usually skip the kale when we don’t have it. And I don’t buy it often because I hate for it to go bad. Wouldn’t it be convenient to have kale right in the freezer ready to throw in the Nutri-Bullet or my Baby Bullet? The only question I then had was how to freeze kale.
I knew I needed to get it to a liquid form and put in my silicone ice cube trays to freeze. After a ton of research I finally decided to purchase a bundle of fresh kale from my local grocery store. Next time I will look for it at the town farmers market.
After removing the kale leaves from the brittle spine, I steamed it for about 5 minutes in a double boiler.
After freezing I stored the cubes in freezer bags until I need them for a healthy smoothie. I hope this little recipe helps you freeze your kale for easy access in your next smoothie.
- 1 bunch of kale
- ½ cup of water
- Wash the kale and remove the leaves from the spine.
- Place in a steamer and steam for 5 minutes.
- Submerge in cold water then add to a high powered blender with about ½ cup of the cold water.
- Blend until smoothe.
- Pour into silicone ice tray molds and freeze until frozen.
- Remove from ice tray and place in freezer bags for storage until needed.